Thursday, May 8, 2008

A rose by any other name ....

So what is a name worth? Well, for me it was worth the 130 votes I didn't get Tuesday night. If you look in the Person County phone book you will find that a certain eight to ten last names run for several columns. Mine is not one of them. Name recognition is a key in voter decision making, and I just didn't have enough of it. The other gentlemen running for county commissioner have deep, multigenerational roots in the county, and a little more than two months just isn't enough time to introduce yourself to nearly 13,000 democratic voters.
So I lost my run for county commissioner Tuesday night, and I have done a bunch of coulda, shoulda, woulda thinking since learning the results. I did ok I guess, coming in a close 4th to three native sons, coming up 0.7% short. (please note that this was fourth out of five with the top three advancing to the general) Many people have asked me consider running again in 2010. It's too soon to give it serious consideration at this point; I am going to be very busy promoting the Democratic candidates right up until the election in November.
I consider it an honor and a privilege to have been on the 2008 Democratic ballot with the next president of the USA, the candidates who stepped up to challenge Dole, Brad Miller and all the other quality, caring democrats on down the ballot.
Likewise, I appreciate being included as a candidate at the recent Bloggers' Bash. Being on the speaking agenda with the statewide candidates was a highlight of my candidacy. Without my own campaign to worry about, I can get back to my familiar role as activist, agitator and all around political junkie, and BlueNC really has got the best "stuff".
Thank you for all the support and encouragement. Now let's get down to it and kick some elephant @$$ this year.
Thanks for reading,
Mike

No comments: